A guest post by Cameron Brown from Wheelly Good Coffee
There’s nothing more Melbourne than a good cup of coffee; we’ve all got our favourite haunts, and regular orders. If what you’re after is something short and sweet, then you’re going to love these 10 unusual facts about coffee:
- Legend has it a 9th-century Ethiopian goat herder discovered coffee by accident when he noticed how crazy the beans were making his goats
- Espresso is regulated by the Italian government because it is considered an essential part of their daily life
- In the ancient Arab culture there was only one way a woman could legally divorce: If her husband didn’t provide enough coffee.
- Johan Sebastian Bach wrote an opera about a woman who was addicted to coffee.
- Finland drinks the most coffee a year, approximately 12kg/ person per year.
- Kopi Luwak is the worlds most expensive coffee, selling for up to $3000 per kg.
- Coffee is the second most traded commodity on earth, after oil.
- Coffee is consumed worldwide at the rate of 1400 Million cups a day.
- Brazil is the largest coffee producing country in the world producing 2,594,100,000 kilograms of coffee beans this year.
- The world record for the most coffees drank in a seven hour period is 82 cups.
Wheelly Good Coffee is a social enterprise, established to provide hospitality training and employment opportunities for individuals going through the ‘Whitelion’ programme.