A guest post by Cameron Brown from Wheelly Good Coffee
There’s nothing more Melbourne than a good cup of coffee; we’ve all got our favourite haunts, and regular orders. If what you’re after is something short and sweet, then you’re going to love these 10 unusual facts about coffee:
- Legend has it a 9th-century Ethiopian goat herder discovered coffee by accident when he noticed how crazy the beans were making his goats
- Espresso is regulated by the Italian government because it is considered an essential part of their daily life
- In the ancient Arab culture there was only one way a woman could legally divorce: If her husband didn’t provide enough coffee.
- Johan Sebastian Bach wrote an opera about a woman who was addicted to coffee.
- Finland drinks the most coffee a year, approximately 12kg/ person per year.
- Kopi Luwak is the worlds most expensive coffee, selling for up to $3000 per kg.
- Coffee is the second most traded commodity on earth, after oil.
- Coffee is consumed worldwide at the rate of 1400 Million cups a day.
- Brazil is the largest coffee producing country in the world producing 2,594,100,000 kilograms of coffee beans this year.
- The world record for the most coffees drank in a seven hour period is 82 cups.
Wheelly Good Coffee is a social enterprise, established to provide hospitality training and employment opportunities for individuals going through the ‘Whitelion’ programme.
This article first appeared in our monthly newsletter The Gazette. Sign up here and never again miss your monthly dose of good stuff.