The satisfaction of buying a gift that someone will love can be multiplied this year by adding a touch more good.
Whether it’s caring for the environment, a social cause or a group of people in need, there are plenty of ways to extend the good feeling of handing over that beautiful gift. Here are just a few ideas.
- Embrace the sustainability trend. Get on board and find some quirky presents that you’d never know were doing so much good for the environment. They’ll be doing good each time the lucky recipient uses it, and you’ll have given an innovative present that helps them feel completely on trend too.
- Upcycle or make your own. The art of a hand made gift has never gone out of style when done well and with care. Personalise your gift so that the thought and time alone speaks volumes of how much they mean to you.
- Support brands that minimise their packaging, especially when buying in multiples. If you are in charge of buying everyone in the workplace a certain item, there are plenty of equally good options to choose from on shelves. Vote with your purchase and choose the brand that uses the least unnecessary or most sustainable packaging. You may have never considered to look out for this, but some companies have, and that’s cause for some extra support.
- Set a wrapping challenge to use only reusable items. It encourages innovation and the gifts will certainly look interesting under the tree this year.
- Challenge yourself to find at least one second hand or vintage gift. Pre-loved doesn’t mean cheap. Finding something truly unique that suits the recipient to a tee, will help your actions speak louder than the money you spent.
While all of us here at The Good Xmas Trail are, of course, still hoping that you choose to support a social enterprise with your food and gift buying, this is a bonus round. Challenge yourself a bit further with your gift giving goodness to wrap up the festive season feeling even more joyful.
This article first appeared in our monthly newsletter The Gazette. Sign up here and never again miss your monthly dose of good stuff.