More jobs, less waste, fair food.
Good things to buy
Green Connect sells organic fruit and veg boxes, free range meat, eggs and honey from our chemical-free farm in Warrawong (Wollongong) NSW. We also run a zero waste op shop in Bellambi (Wollongong) NSW.
Good things we do
Green Connect is a not-for-profit social enterprise that employs young people and former refugees to grow fair food and reduce waste to landfill.
Our Zero Waste team operates services that educate the community in how to be more sustainable and reducing waste to landfill. Our aim is to ensure zero waste, and we are achieving 91% diversion at some events (see Zero Waste Services)
We also offer staffing solutions, to connect our staff to other businesses, industries and opportunities, and to give local businesses access to hardworking, reliable employees (see Staffing Solutions) Why use Green Connect for staffing:
- We have over 60 reliable, hardworking staff ready at a moment’s notice
- We pay our staff fairly, according to the appropriate Award and any allowances
- We have experience across many different industries
- We work with you to make sure you have the best person for the job
- We train, induct and support our staff on an ongoing basis
- We are a social enterprise so all proceeds go back in to the community
Last year we:
– employed 122 young people and former refugees
– kept 119 tonnes of waste out of landfill
– grew 35,000kg of fair food
Green Connect was established in 2011 to address three problems:
– unacceptable levels of unemployment in the Illawarra, especially for young people and former refugees
– unprecedented levels of waste
– an unsustainable food system
Since then we have been creating jobs, reducing waste and growing fair food in the Illawarra and Sydney, and have recently won several awards including Illawarra Business Awards for Excellence in Sustainability and Excellence in Social Enterprise, Wollongong City Council’s Community Group of the Year, the Green Globe for Community Leadership and the Premier’s Award for Environmental Excellence.
Green Connect is excited to bring the community together with a range of events focusing on fair food and sustainable practices. We love showing people our award-winning urban farm at Warrawong so sign up for a workshop and some along to be part of the fun. Workshops range from growing your own veg and keeping backyard chickens to specialised skills in beekeeping and permaculture design. (See What’s On)